The Osceola Mill

Located Between Historic Lexington and Staunton Virginia

Home Lodging Cabin Rental Reservations Dining History Area Contact
    Crabtree Falls Vacation Home    
Attractions: Crabtree Falls & Blue Ridge Parkway

History

Mill in the Fall Mill abstract Osceola Mill in the Fall Old Mill

The photos above are by J. Riley Stewart Fine Art Photography

The Osceola Mill Circa 1849

Water powered mills were very important to the Shenandoah Valley during the 1800s.  Significant drops in stream elevation made for ideal conditions.  The Osceola is one of seven mills on the Marl Creek. Only two remain standing, The McCormick Farm Mill on the upper part of Marl Creek and the Osceola Mill on the lower.  Both mills were part of the McCormick estate.  The Osceola Mill, named for the indian chief by McCormick, remains structurally intact with massive hand hewn chestnut beams.  The Fritz water wheel as seen above, is thought to have replaced the original wooden wheel.  The Osceola Mill operated as a working mill until 1969 by the Brubaker family, and provided stone ground products for sale.  Hurricane Camille ended its long history as a working mill in 1969.  The Mill was then renovated into a home and later an Inn.  Many of the original mill works still remain, including the massive overshot waterwheel.  The Daly's hope to have the wheel turning again soon.

 

The Osceola Mill The Osceola Mill

 

The McCormick Farm